Re: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> You are entering this branch of the algorithm *because* you can't get what
> you asked for. At this point, what is more important ? That the browser mindlessly
> aims to get as many columns as possible, even if it results in the vast majority
> of the multicol element being empty ?

Yeah, actually, if that's how I authored the page.

> Or should it try to honor both the number of
> columns you want and respect your content - never mind the user's ability to
> consume it - before it respects intra-column space ?

It doesn't know nearly as much about my content and what I want to do with it and how to respect that, as I do. I dont see current browsers reducing my padding to make sure there is room for words in my paragraphs (thank the gods). I really don't see why margin gap should be any different.

> There are many good reasons why the author may want to use media queries. But he
> shouldn't have to because multicol fallback in overconstrainted cases looks horrible
> by design.

I'd rather have the power to make those sort of design decisions on my own for the pages I author and style. I don't want the UA to decide if my design is too horrible or good enough without knowing anything about WHY I chose to have lots of wide column gaps in a narrow space.