RE: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

I don't think there should be a hard-coded column-min-width. Unlike default column-gap it only matters in extreme cases, and I haven't seen realistic use cases so far that would see a significant benefit from having a min-width on columns (hardcoded or settable). Adding an arbitrary limit is what we used to do in quirks mode...

-----Original Message-----
From: Håkon Wium Lie [mailto:howcome@opera.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:24 PM
To: Tab Atkins Jr.
Cc: Sylvain Galineau; Stephen Zilles; Alex Mogilevsky; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:

 > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
 > > 6) introduce min-column-width (probably in combination with 2)  > >  > >  + fewer narrow columns  > >  - would bring us back to last call  > >  - more complex to implement  > >  - there would still be lots of clipping  >  > Would it help if the minimum column width was just enforced in the  > algorithm, and not exposed as a property?  We can always make a  > property to control it later, but for now, just saying that columns  > aren't allowed to shrink below 5em or something would ensure that some  > content always gets shown, and may reduce the presence of  > singularities in the algorithm.

Yes, we could probably avoid going back to last call if we hard-code, or just recommend, a certain min-column-width at this stage.

It must be possible to override this minimum by setting column-width explicitly; the hardcoded value should only have effect when 'column-width' is auto.

5em is probably a good guess of where it should be.

-h&kon