Re: "phonemes" property in the CSS3 Speech module

[nitpicker's corner]

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> So the discussion is about how this should be marked up …
>  I <x id="read-1">read</x> it.
>  #read-1 {phonemes: rɛd}

assuming id= parses the way id parses in xhtml, this would be bad
because it would mean i could not write:

>  I <x class="read-simple-past">read</x> it.
>  .read-simple-past {phonemes: rɛd}

I'd rather <x class="read simple past">

> … and consequently which of these CSS should support and thereby encourage?

Ignoring all the other technical problems, support for multiple
classes is I believe a theoretically solved problem.

Personally, I like http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/route#Pronunciation
as a problem word. I speak en-US and you can see that we get two
pronunciations; I use both.