Re: [CSS21] Resolution: clearance and disappearing margins

On 05/02/2011 19:12, fantasai wrote:
> On 02/05/2011 04:11 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
>>
>>> RESOLVED: Have spec allow either margin collapsing behavior in this
>>> margin-collapse-clear test
>>
>> Please can the WG provide a clearer explanation of the two options
>> being discussed.
>
> It's in the summary of the minutes:
>
> - RESOLVED: Have spec allow two possible margin collapsing behaviors in the
> margin-collapse-clear case: the hypothetical position before
> clearance is applied may be calculated either with respect to
> the parent block, or with respect to the containing block
> formatting context.

Yes, but this raises more questions than it answers!  I guess we'll need
to wait for dbaron's post to the mailing list, but the obvious first
question is whether calculating the hypothetical position with respect
to the parent block is equivalent to dropping the need to perform the
"second calculation" in 9.5.2 (and if so, the spec should be worded as
such rather than introducing a new formulation viz. changing the point
of reference of the hypothetical position).

I don't have time to think about this right now, but will do in due course.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net