Re: [css3-regions][css3-exclusions][css3-gcpm][css3-positioning] RE: Examples of exclusions

On 12/10/11 6:15 AM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> Vincent wrote:
>
>> What you propose implies that the requirement for regions and
>> exclusions is to provide a way to position/insert the exclusion
>> between columns. As I was saying in the rest of my answer and other
>> messages, this is not in the scope for these two specifications.
>
> In the list of use cases, which presumably all are in scope, you list:
>
>   Flowing content between arbitrary areas
>   Flowing content into arbitrary areas
>   Flowing content *around* arbitrary areas
>   Controlling the interplay between overlapping shapes
>   Fancy illustration layout
>   Dropcap exclusion
>   Magazine layouts
>
> How can you then conclude that exclusions between columns are not in
> scope? Especially since this was example #1 in what Steve posted.
> Where is the description of the scope?

Håkon,

I think that having an exclusion that affects two sections of text (whether
those are two regions, two columns in a multicol element, or two separate
elements entirely) is in scope for exclusions, and I certainly plan to have
test cases for this.

But neither of the current drafts of regions and exclusions handles how the
element with the exclusion gets positioned between the columns. That's the
part of Steve's pull quote use case that is out of scope. If there are new
positioning requirements for the pull quote use case, they should go into a
new positioning specification.

One of the test cases in my list for the overlap between regions and
exclusions is an element in one region with an exclusion shape that affects
content in a downstream region. This might get close to the pull quote use
case, but I expect there may be additional positioning requirements for the
use case that neither regions nor exclusions will address.

Thanks,

Alan