Re: [css3-regions][css3-exclusions][css3-gcpm][css3-positioning] RE: Examples of exclusions

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com<mailto:howcome@opera.com>>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 03:46:05 -0800
To: Adobe Systems <vhardy@adobe.com<mailto:vhardy@adobe.com>>
Cc: HÃkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com<mailto:howcome@opera.com>>, "arronei@microsoft.com<mailto:arronei@microsoft.com>" <arronei@microsoft.com<mailto:arronei@microsoft.com>>, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com<mailto:szilles@adobe.com>>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org<mailto:www-style@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: [css3-regions][css3-exclusions][css3-gcpm][css3-positioning] RE: Examples of exclusions

Vincent wrote:

> > When I go to the list of use cases for Regions and Exclusions, which
> > are linked from the Regions WD:
> >
> >  http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-regions/regions-use-cases
> >
> > I see many fancy examples, which presumably are in scope?
> >
> > For example, you write:
> >
> >  The following image illustrates the need to be able to flow content
> >  around an arbitrarily shaped area.
> >
> > Shouldn't you also have an example, with Steve's pull-quote image,
> > where you say:
> >
> >  The following image illustrates the need to be able to insert an
> >  element between two columns.
>
> Sorry if I am missing the obvious, but I do not see that on the
> regions-use-cases page so I am not sure what you are referring to.
> Can you clarify?

I go to the Regions spec:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css3-regions-20111129/#usecases

and follow the link to:

  http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-regions/regions-use-cases

In that document you find the text I quoted.

Hi Håkon,

I guess I mis-read what you said. The first text you quoted:

> >  The following image illustrates the need to be able to flow content
> >  around an arbitrarily shaped area.

is in there. I see that (I had seen that before sending my email).

The second text you quoted:

> >  The following image illustrates the need to be able to insert an
> >  element between two columns.

Is the one I could not find on that page.

I think mistake is that where you wrote:

> > Shouldn't you also have an example, with Steve's pull-quote image,
> > where you say: [...]

the text that follows is your suggestion to introduce Steve's example on that page.

We can add the example, but I would use a different wording. What you propose implies that the requirement for regions and exclusions is to provide a way to position/insert the exclusion between columns. As I was saying in the rest of my answer and other messages, this is not in the scope for these two specifications.

I can add the example and say that it shows an example where an exclusion and a regions are used and note that the positioning in the center of 2 columns would be addressed by other specifications.

Cheers,
Vincent