Re: [css3-images] 2011/12/01 ED section 4.2 review notes

On Dec 6, 2011, at 5:02 PM, fantasai wrote:

>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Brad Kemper<brad.kemper@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> On Dec 6, 2011, at 12:27 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr."<jackalmage@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I did have a suggested change during our discussions, that would make me
>>> happier. I don't think I ever got a reply. So the agreement is not quite as
>>> resounding as you imply (though I think that I could live with it). My
>>> comment included a preference for<size><shape>  in that order, which you can
>>> see below, and which Brian also seems to prefer, if anything is ordered (his
>>> option F). I would have said so, if I could have made it to that telecon
>>> that day. I go further, to say that the shape keyword is actually pretty
>>> redundant when lengths are given for size. Here is that thread (unquoted
>>> part below is me from November 25, during Thanksgiving weekend, then the
>>> next telecon was the one I missed):
>> [snip]
>>
>> I don't see any problems with your suggestions, but they also don't
>> seem to bring any great benefit.  Now that we've solved the core
>> problem (function arguments too unreadable, and difficult to extend),
>> have integrated author feedback, and have a resolution and a published
>> WD with the grammar, I would greatly prefer to not make any more
>> changes unless they are actually addressing an error or important
>> omission.  Sorry. ;_;
>
> Just change all the examples to use Brad's suggested ordering.
> Those two are order-flexible, so no problem.

Aside from disagreeing that about allowing less-readable order, I still have a problem with having to write out 'ellipse' much more often. I used to be able to write this:

radial-gradient(closest-corner, yellow, blue)

But now I have to be longer and more explicit, like this:

radial-gradient(ellipse to closest-corner, yellow, blue)

That is a big downgrade, IMO. It could be solved with this:

radial-gradient(
[
   [ circle?  <length>? ] | [ ellipse?  <length>{2}? ] |
   [ [ circle | ellipse ] to]? <closest/farthest-corner-side>
]?
[ at <position ]?
, <color-stops>)

I'd rather this be settled now, before last call, than to be objecting during last call, or waiting until there are more implementations using yet another syntax that could change again.