From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 2:21 PM
To: Brian Manthos
Cc: fantasai; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-images] 2011/12/01 ED section 4.2 review notes

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> I'm still curious to here the rationale for killing this reordering support, as it haven't found anywhere where that discussion was documented:
>>> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/csswg/css3-images/Overview.src.html.diff?r1=1.230;r2=1.231;f=h

>>> The reordering *was* supported before the "rushed edit and publish" at the last TelCon.
>>
>>This was explained both in the telcon (the minutes for which have been
>
> I don't see in the minutes, or in the k... log.  Could you provide a link to the relevant quote?

It's the first part of the "Radial Gradients Readability" topic:

 fantasai: We worked with other WG members to come up with a syntax which
           we posted to the blog, per our action item.
 fantasai: We got some feedback, it was somewhat mixed.
 fantasai: One of the things we noted was that the proposed syntax used
           the "to" keyword to distinguish the size from the position,
           but that seemed confusing/awkward to people.
 fantasai: So we tweaked the proposed syntax a bit to remove that.
           The new version is up on the wiki.
 fantasai: It's simpler than before.
 fantasai: The only thing needed is to distinguish the size from the
            position, but only one of them needs a special marker to
            resolve the parsing/reading ambiguity.
 fantasai: So the proposal is
<color-stops> )
 fantasai: In the old syntax, you couldn't specify *just* an explicit size,
           because of the parsing ambiguity.  Now everything is optional.
           It's also clearer from the keyword that the values after "at"
           are a position.

In the above minutes, Fantasai explains why we removed the "to" from
in front of the size.