Re: [css3-text] Splitting CSS Text into Level 3 and Level 4

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 16:53:29 +0100, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good start, Florian. I like your Asterix example.

I though it was a good example to write: funny, actually used in existing
material and definitely not something the WG would want to create a
predefined keyword for.

> Have you considered some limited form of regex?

As I heard some people thinking that having regex would take us into
complex situations we don't want to get into, I'm trying to see how far I
can go without using them. I think we can get quite far.

> A boundary indicator would help with your long S case, so that it
> wouldn't transform at the end of a word (and would also finally allow us
> to transform to a basic title case).

Well the transform I proposed turned long s into short s, and that doesn't
need any boundary check. If you want to do the opposite transform, you
would
need something like that. If we want to stay out of regexp, maybe we can
think
of some way to use the 'applies-to' descriptor I mention in an issue
in the proposal.

> Regex could also indicate ranges without using a separate property name
> in the @rule.

They could. But if having several property names is not something
people like, there are other ways out of that. I think my proposal
could easily be changed to merge the 3 converters into 1:

** one-liner version **

** Broken down version **
<conversion> [, <conversion>]*

<conversion> = [<char-list> to <char-list>] | ident
<char-list> = <enumeration> | <range>
<enumeration> = <string>

example usage:

@text-transform uppercase-with-georgian {
     convert: uppercase, "ა":"ჵ" to "Ⴀ":"Ⴥ";
}

For various reasons, I am starting to prefer this variant, actually.

  - Florian