Re: [css3-flexbox] flex-flow bikeshed

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> flex-flow seems really complicated. Unfortunately, I don't have anything new
> arguments against having so many possible values.

I know what you mean. :/  Unfortunately, there are explicit use-cases
for nearly all of the values (and the few that weren't given explicit
use-cases are justified by consistency).

If you have an idea for a better syntax, suggest away!  Note that some
of the options that seem overly-long (like "horizontal-ltr", which
could just be "ltr") were done that way on purpose, to discourage
their use when they're not explicitly needed.  We believe that 'row'
and 'column' will usually be correct and will adjust in the way that
authors actually want, but if 'ltr' was available, they'd often reach
for that just because it's so short.

> If we're going to have all these options, we should at least be consistent
> with writing-mode. Specifically, horizontal-ltr | horizontal-rtl |
> vertical-ttb | vertical-btt, should be horizontal-lr | horizontal-rl |
> vertical-tb | vertical-bt.

Good catch.  I'll make the change.