Re: [css-ui] Definition and scope of 'resize' property

On 8/19/2011 3:38 PM, fantasai wrote:
> On 08/19/2011 11:02 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
>>
>> 1) The idea of a resize factor should be removed in favor of saying
>> that the UA has to add inline style rules.  I don't think this is a
>> layering violation, since CSS acknowledges the concept of a DOM and
>> inline style rules.  If a host language doesn't support inline style
>> rules, behavior can be left undefined, or we can say there's no
>> effect, or whatever.  It's a little scary to have user actions messing
>> with the DOM, but I don't see any good alternative offhand even for
>> the non-editable case.
>
> CSS acknowledges the concept of a DOM, but it does not alter the DOM.
> It only reads it; it does not write to it.

Typically, that's true, but this is an editable attribute. It's the user
that is
altering the DOM, through UA interaction, just as they would in
contentEditable.

There's a similar precedent in ARIA, which should usually be .getAttribute,
but can be .setAttribute.

These are entirely based on user interactions and are UA specific.
There is precedent for specifying edibility in CSS. Though the old
ui spec attributes were not kept, both WebKit and Moz still
hold onto CSS user-modify tags.