Re: Splitting background-position in two different attributes

On Thursday 2011-08-18 10:17 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Again, an example...
> >        background: blue;
> > is not equivalent to...
> >        background-color: blue;
> > but rather...
> >        background-attachment: scroll;
> >        background-clip: border-box;
> >        background-color: blue;
> >        background-image: none;
> >        background-origin: padding-box;
> >        background-position: 0% 0%;
> >        background-repeat: repeat;
> >        background-size: auto;
>
> Or, somewhat more simply:
>
> background-attachment: initial;
> background-clip: initial;
> background-color: blue;
> background-image: initial;
> background-origin: initial;
> background-position: initial;
> background-repeat: initial;
> background-size: initial;

Though depending on the rules for serialization of shorthands, this
may be a bad idea.  In particular, since inherit and initial can't
be used within a shorthand, Gecko follows the rule that if some
subproperties of a shorthand are inherit or initial, then in order
for the shorthand to serialize as other than "", all must be.  This
vastly simplifies serialization code (and, if we ever specify it,
specification).

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂