Re: Splitting background-position in two different attributes

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 02:46:08 +0200, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Jonathan Snook:
>> For example, something like this:
> div {
>> background-image: url(a.png), url(b.png), url(c.png), url(d.png);
>> background-position: 0 0, 100% 100%;
>> background-repeat: no-repeat;
> }
>> What should an OM query for 'background' return? Is it constructable?
>
> From an IE perspective:
> Empty string.  It is not constructible because (a) you are missing 5
> properties and (b) the layer counts for the specified properties are
> inconsistent.
>
> From a W3C perspective:
> Please point me to the specification and section that explicitly
> indicate what the correct answer is for CSS3.  I cannot find it.

This seems pretty close:

http://www.w3.org/TR/cssom/#serializing-css-values
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom/#serializing-css-values

"If the value of a shorthand property is requested and it cannot be
computed because the properties associated with the shorthand have values
that cannot be represented by the shorthand the serialization is the empty
string."

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA