Re: [css3-regions] writing mode and directionality for flows

Hi Alex,

On 8/14/11 12:09 PM, "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:

>A very limited set of properties on the region element affect content
>(other than region styling). Currently only column properties are
>candidates for that. And size of course.
>
>Considering that in paged media first page is the ICB, first region will
>be ICB too (right?),

Yes. This would align the regions behavior with that of pages
(http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/#page-box-page-rule), where the spec. says:

"The edges of the page area on the first page establish the rectangle that
is the initial containing block
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#containing-block-details> of the
document."

So it seems consistent to have that behavior for regions too.

>then it would be reasonable to expect that root writing mode is that of
>the first region element.

Sounds good to me too.

>BTW, what use cases depend on that? The only one I can think of is how
>many pages to skip for "break-after:even". Anything else?

This is something David responded to in a follow up email.

Cheers,
Vincent