Re: background-print

[rearrange quotes for effect]

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
>> Keep in mind the intent of the property, though - it's meant to say
>> "Hey, I know you normally suppress my backgrounds and mess with my
>> colors when you print, but I've designed the page with printing in
>> mind, so there's no need to do that here (unless the user still asks
>> for it)."
>
> Even if a page author has "designed the page with printing in mind", the user might still disagree and want to opt out of printing the images anyway.

You'll notice that in the email you're responding to (and every other
message from me in this thread, where it was relevant), I said exactly
that.  ^_^

For the benefit of people coming late to the thread, I'll restate it:
This is a proposal for a property to hint to the user agent that the
page was designed with printing in mind and thus they may want to
default to honoring backgrounds and colors as written.  This is not
intended in any way to take away the existing (useful!) ability for a
user to tell the UA that they don't care, and would prefer backgrounds
and such not print.

I don't need convincing on this point; I came in with that scenario
already baked-in.  ^_^