Re: [css3-regions] content:flow-from() vs. flow-from

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2011, at 8:43 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> As for "position:relative", in this hypothetical situation (of defining display and positioning properties as if they didn't exist yet) I would keep it separate, as it isn't really specifying a position, it is an offset from a position that is determined before it applies.
>>>
>>> Perhaps something like this would work better for relative positioning:
>>>
>>>        position-offset: <length> <length>?
>>>
>>> (the two values are offsets for 'start' and 'before'; somewhat similar to http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#the-float-offset-property)
>>
>> I agree with François - position:relative was a way to do a
>> purely-visual translation of an element before transforms existed.
>> Now that they do exist, if we were doing it over again, we'd just use
>> transform.
>
> Does 'translateZ' change an element's z-index? Does '‘transform-style: preserve-3d’ affect that? I couldn't really tell by reading the spec. Or are you saying that with 'translateZ' we wouldn't need z-index or need relative positioning to set it?

No, z-index is separate.  However, siblings can use translateZ to move
in front of or behind each other, similar to the effect of z-index.

'preserve-3d' just affects how "local" an elements' Z position is.  If
an element is set to "flat", its children's Z position is local to the
internal plane of the element; if the element is rotated in the Y or
Z, you'll see the children stay within the element.  With preserve-3d
the Z position applies one level higher up the tree.  If you rotate an
element with a child with a positive Z position, you'll see the child
visibly "in front" of the element.