From: Brian Manthos
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 11:24 AM
To: 'Tab Atkins Jr.'; L. David Baron; Boris Zbarsky (bzbarsky@MIT.EDU)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: RE: [css3-background] 'background-size: auto auto' and images with intrinsic size in one dimension

I forgot to mention this linkage in the chain of evaluation ...

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/coords.html#IntrinsicSizing

My recollection is that this explains how the percentages interact with the attachment location.

My other recollection is that, although it's in SVG Tiny 1.2, it was the preferred model and that it was going to be moved or replicated somewhere else in spec land.

Like I said, I'm fuzzy on this area but this combined with the other references led some of us (and definitely me) to the conclusion that we had no SVG-provided examples of the absence of intrinsic ratio during IE9 development.  And none of the new feature set of IE10 has shaken that understanding.