Re: Splitting background-position in two different attributes

On 5/08/2011 2:21 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Christian Sciberras<uuf6429@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> ========= Introduction =========
>>
>> This issue has been previously covered here:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/9
>>
>> I believe the example used does not highlight the importance of such a feature.
> [snip]
>> ========= Conclusion =========
>>
>> - Without background-position-[x|y], there is a lot more code and more
>> room for error.
>> - State positions cannot be separated from type/subject positions.
>> - Code is significantly larger to replace this feature.
>
> Hi!  Thanks for emailing the list!
>
> As you indicated, this has been discussed before, and rejected.  I
> believe the reasoning for it being rejected is still valid.

They were rejected due to image sprites if I am correct. I agree with
both Brad and Jonathan in their use in animation.

@keyframe y-axis-downwards {
   from { background-position: 30% 0%; }
   50%  { background-position: 30% 50%; }
   to   { background-position: 30% 100%; }
}

The below would be easier and would also allow 'background-position-x'
to be animated independently or just declared outside the keyframe with
a single value (background-position-x: 30%).

@keyframe y-axis-downwards {
   from { background-position-y: 0%; }
   50%  { background-position-y: 50%; }
   to   { background-position-y: 100%; }