Re: [css3-images] Resolving on gradient issues

On Aug 4, 2011, at 12:25 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>> So you will have the '*ward' syntax for going edge-to-edge, and some completely different syntax or wording style for going corner-to-corner? I think that is a horrible idea, and that we should resolve this now to get a syntax that is consistent for both. Trying to patch something on later without considering how now will lead to bad results.
>
> Not just for corner-to-corner.  For the more general case of "whatever
> the new type of linear gradient is".

You are speculating that there will be a new type of linear gradient that has to solve corner-to-corner and some other angling or extent of linear gradient in a new unified (but so far totally imaginary inside your head) way? That doesn't seem like much of a hook to hang your hat on. We have ways to solve the known, common cases now (corners and sides). We don't have to wait until there is some vague, unknown, future problem.

> The *ward keywords are just
> shortcuts for an angle (with a little bit of special behavior on
> animation).  Whatever future type of linear gradient we design will
> handle corner-to-corner better, and will almost certainly be able to
> handle horizontal/vertical gradients as well.

We have a good way to handle corner-to-corner now, which (aside from some minor disagreements about language) also work well on side-to-side gradients. I still don't see what is gained by not including this now.