Re: Idea : replacement for border-radius, a more complete corner styling property.

This may have been mentioned before, but I don't understand the need
for border-radius-style: concave. Wouldn't border-radius: -70px
(which, afaik, currently is the same as 0) fit for that behaviour? Or
are there other border-radius-styles?

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2011, at 7:01 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Joel_MMCC:
>>> • “concave” (my unique one that has no equivalent in François’s proposal:
>>> rounded, but cut INTO the box corners, like the corners of old-fashioned
>>> photographs, ticket stubs, etc. — sort of like his “square-cutted,” but rounded
>>> instead of square)
>>
>> Suppose you had:
>>
>> (1)
>> div {
>>   width: 150px;
>>   height: 50px;
>>   border-color: red blue green black;
>>   border-radius: 25px;
>>   border-radius-style: concave;
>>   border-width: 50px;
>>   border-style: solid;
>> }
>>
>> (2)
>> div {
>>   width: 240px;
>>   height: 140px;
>>   border-color: red blue green black;
>>   border-radius: 70px;
>>   border-radius-style: concave;
>>   border-width: 5x;
>>   border-style: solid;
>> }
>>
>> Would you want it to look like the attached renderings?
>>
>> More specifically, it wasn't explicit in your description whether you want the inner edge of the border to have an expanded radius (like the opposite of what happens for the current border-radius inner edge behavior).
>> <JoelConcave1.png>
>> <JoelConcave2.png>
>
> If he doesn't say, I will: Yes. The rendering looks good.
>
> I wonder if that should mean that border-radius:50% should run into the "doesn't fit, so scale corners uniformly" rule, so that there was always room for a complete line thickness  where two corner shapes meet (or should two curves not be allowed to even overlap, and thus always be separated by two line thicknesses), or could two curves come together in a point without any border thickness extending outside that point? Something to consider.

Jerome Leclanche