Re: [css] Proposal: making Shorthand Hex Colors even shorter (16 grayscale shades)

I have sent this as a new message for a new thread.

> On 31 Jul 2011, at 12:34, Markus Bruch wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm new to this list, so please forgive if this topic has been
>> talked about before.

Welcome. It would be good to start a new topic instead of piggybacking
on top of an existing thread.

>> I'd like to propose to further shorten the css hex color notation.
>>
>> Known notation:
>>
>> 	.orange { color: #ff6600; }
>>
>> to:
>>
>> 	.orange { color: #f60; }
>>
>> I would suggest that for a specific set of 16 grayscale shades,
>> to reduce the rgb-values to one single character:
>>
>> 	.gray { color: #ccc; }
>>
>> to:
>>
>> 	.gray { color: #c; }
>>
>> In addition to it's only marginal bandwith or space saving it
>> would have the benefit of being concise and easily visible to
>> the reader, that this code assigns a grayscale color (from a
>> set of 16 shades, #0 - #f).
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Markus Bruch

If such hexadecimal notation was added, it would have to map the same as
#rgb currently works. So #0 would equal #000000, #7 would equal #777777
and #f would equal #ffffff.

On 2/08/2011 7:32 PM, Antony Kennedy wrote:
> I like this idea. To extend it to 255 shades of grey you could also use two characters, like #ac.

256 different shade to be exact.

> Could a similar implementation be used with RGB()? Although easier to read, it is a more verbose format.

Possibly but it would be not rgb() anymore. You would want grayscale()
but this is counter to saving bandwidth. Possibly gs() with a range of
'0' to '255'. I presume you are thinking of using this on handheld devices.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/