Re: [css3-lists] [css3-speech] Interaction between list-style-type and speak properties

On 04/27/2011 04:18 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2011, at 2:06 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>  wrote:
>
>> In practice, people using HTML rely on HTML to
>> create the list markers. The only common exception here is lawyers,
>> who need ironclad interpretation of their documents, and will go
>> through the trouble of putting their list bullets in the text itself.
>
> And organizations that have documents that lawyers must review. That is, not just law firms, but also heavily regulated industries like banks and health care.
>
>> As for HTML, it doesn't have a way of creating ordered bulletted
>> lists or unordered lettered lists. Which is admittedly a problem for
>> the HTMLWG to solve, but given that we are responsible for being able
>> to render an appropriate representation of whatever they come up with,
>> we're not off the hook here either.
>
> Agreed. Suppose HTML creates an inline element called MARKER containing
> regular text that must be part of the document.

Yeah, see Tab's post about display: marker. :)

But that doesn't solve the problem of people who don't want to manually
number their lists (they trust the UA to do it correctly) but do want
the marker read out as something other than the UA stylesheet default.
The 'type' attribute on <ol> gives some of the styles, but it's only
on <ol> and it doesn't have many of the options that we have in CSS.

In general, if the author is changing the list-style-type to something
other than a bullet, or turning it off, we do want to reflect that in
the speech rendering somehow.

~fantasai