Re: Re: Re: 'æ', 'ø', and 'å ' in lists (was Re: [css 3-li sts] of lists and castles)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:
>  > > What I mean is that we should document all the weird and wonderful
>  > > list style numbering systems there, but move the description to
>  > > somewhere else. Like John suggested.
>  >
>  > I don't understand this suggestion.
>
> Here's how John put it:
>
>  I think describing number formatting in general (i.e. beyond the use
>  in simple lists) is a worthy task but not something that really
>  belongs in a CSS rec.  I think a W3C Note or a Unicode Technical Note
>  would be a better place for this work.

Ok, so, I agree.  I think numbering systems are interesting, but I
don't want to try and document them in this spec beyond what is
necessary for lists.

The longhand CJK styles *are* used in lists, so I'd like to document
them.  I don't need to document them too far - going up to 10^16 is
probably excessive (obviously, going up to 10^72 is way too far).
Going up to 10^4 is better, and lets me drastically simplify things.
(I can remove the Japanese and Korean styles entirely, instead
specifying them with the 'additive' algorithm, and drastically
simplify the remaining custom algorithm for the Chinese styles.)