Re: [css3-animations] non-animatable values of animatable properties

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> One more question about this behavior (which I don't see the spec
> answering):  when some of the adjacent pairs of values of a property
> aren't animatable, what happens?  All the spec says about
> non-animatable situations is:
>  # Properties that are unable to be animated are ignored in these
>  # rules, with the exception of animation-timing-function', the
>  # behavior of which is described below.
>  -- http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-animations/#keyframes
>
> For example, how is the following animated?
>
> @keyframes fade {
>  0% { fill: black }
>  30% { fill: rgb(64, 64, 64); }
>  70% { fill: url(foo.svg#gradient1) }
>  100% { fill: white; }
> }
>
> Is there only an animation for 'fill' between 0% and 30%, or does
> something else happen after 30%?
>
> (With the way I previously interpreted the spec, it seemed
> relatively obvious:  the property isn't animated between pairs of
> keyframes that can't be animated (e.g., after 30% in the example
> above).  But with the model as you've explained it, now I'm less
> sure.)

Isn't this similar to the idea of animating discrete properties?
There's no defined way to interpolate nicely between a color and a
gradient, so just animate it in a stepwise fashion, in whatever way we
decide discrete properties are animated.