RE: [css3-regions] elements vs. selectors

If flow properties are applied through CSS they certainly should applied to generated content. If it can be a table it should be able to be a page container, doesn't sound any harder. But you probably didn't mean to say it should apply to ::first-line too.

What troubles me in motivation for slots is that the *only* real reason for it is that media queries are hard or impossible to use to create or remove elements. But maybe if that is important we need to solve that problem instead? Actual use cases would help...