Re: [CSSOM] Searching/Navigating stylesheets

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>>> If browsers ship every 6 weeks, then we probably learn that there is a
>>> problem after two releases have shipped...
>>
>> And then we can fix it 6 weeks later, rather than a year or two later. ^_^
>
> From what I've seen so far, we then say "but we've shipped it in two
> releases already; we can't change it anymore."

Sigh, yeah.  Keep fighting the good fight there, I think we're just
being stupid.

>>> We can, sure.  But if all the use cases for one are also use cases for
>>> the
>>> other, then we should ask ourselves whether we need a web API for the
>>> former
>>> if the latter won't be doable with web APIs anyway.
>>
>> So you're arguing that disabling rulesets is possibly reasonable for a
>> web API, but disabling individual properties is probably only useful
>> for full-on editors which will need specialized non-web-facing APIs
>> anyway, so can just put the functionality in the latter APIs?
>
> Yes.

Okay, that's reasonable.  I'll see if I can come up with use-cases for
per-property disabling beyond editors.

>> For example, assume you're defining some sort of ruleset nesting, like
>> this:
>
> Oh, I see what you were talking about.  OK.
>
> My concern was actually about things that don't look like property-value
> pairs now (in the sense that the part before ':' is not an ident) but might
> end up as property-value pairs in the future if we extend CSS.

That's a fair concern - I assume you're referring to things like, say,
"background-image[1]" which has been proposed for targetting pieces of
a list-valued property?