Re: Need a better way to reach into the shadow DOM subtree

On Apr 11, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> video::-webkit-timeline:disabled { /* ... */ }
>
> How do we fix this? Tab suggests a new combinator selector like:

Just keep using pseudo-elements, but lift all the silly restrictions placed on them, e.g., that they have to be the rightmost selector.  The issue isn't with pseudo-elements.  The issue is with the restrictions placed on pseudo-element usage that don't need to be there.

Note that WebKit already has its own pseudo-element extensions that deliberately violate this rule, e.g., all of the scrollbar parts, which support states like hover/active/disabled using rules just like what you've described above.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)