Re: canvas origin?

On 9/04/2011 4:37 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> On 09/04/2011 02:12, Anton Prowse wrote:
>> On 08/04/2011 18:50, Jack Smiley wrote:

>>> (assuming ltr mode) For example, if I do html: {margin-left: -50px},
>>> would the canvas origin be 50px to the left of the top left corner of
>>> the viewport?
>>
>> No. It would (as always, by definition) be incident with the top left
>> corner of the initial containing block, which is typically the rectangle
>> seen in the viewport when the page loads.

This is incorrect in what browsers do.

>> The leftmost 50px of the root
>> element's margin area box would be to the left of the initial containing
>> block (and usually impossible to scroll left to in browsers, although
>> that's not mandated anywhere AFAIK).
>
> Sorry, I meant to say: "The leftmost 50x of the root element's _border_
> box would be to the left of the initial containing block".

This depends on what properties are given to out of flow boxes. There
can be two ICB and this is what browsers show.

> (The top left margin area corner is incident with both the top left
> corner of the initial containing block and the canvas origin [and
> typically with the top left corner of the viewport when the page first
> loads], as I said above.)
>
> Cheers,
> Anton Prowse
> http://dev.moonhenge.net

Again, this depends on what properties are given to out of flow boxes.
Take these test cases.

http://css-class.com/test/css/visformatting/icb4.htm

http://css-class.com/test/css/visformatting/icb5.htm

For floats, the ICB is wider than the viewport and relates to the left
margin edge of the root element in the first test or right margin edge
of the root element in the second test.

For absolutely position elements with offset values of auto for left,
the ICB is hidden outside the viewport and relates to the left margin
edge of the root element in the first test.

For absolutely position elements with offset values of 0 (or positive or
negative integers) the ICB relates to the viewport.

Note that the overflow is hidden in the first test and visible (with a
scroll-bar) in the second test.

On 9/04/2011 10:12 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:

>> I agree. How can we make that happen?
>
> It's enough that this conversation is taking place on this mailing list
> to ensure that it'll be considered for the Errata to the upcoming
> publication of CSS21 as a Proposed Recommendation.

Yes for the Errata.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/