Re: [css3-text] Hanging punctuation for Roman (was script-specific functionality

On 4/7/11 10:45 PM, "Ambrose LI" <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/4/8 Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>:
>> I keep getting messages saying hanging punctuation on the end-edge (right for
>> LTR) is used in Latin scripts, and then other people saying it's incorrect
>> and it should be removed. Currently I take the later as that's what
>> Wikipedia's picture[1] indicates, but the feature is still there for East
>> Asian typography.
>>
>> I tried In Design but it doesn't seem to support Roman type hanging
>> punctuation. As far as I tried, it allows East Asian type hanging punctuation
>> only. It does support optical margin alignment though.
>>
>> Does In Design support this? If so, can you tell me how?
>
> It is correct that InDesign does not seem to support this (for
> whatever mysterious reason). But it can be easily done in Illustrator.
>
> And this is partly why I oppose using Wordıs behaviour as a model for
> anything. These software only capture what their programmers know (or
> rather believe they know). They canıt do a lot of things. And
> sometimes they can do something but itıs done wrong. As CJK people we
> should all know this very well.

InDesign only supports optical margin alignment, which happens to set quote
marks outside the right edge of the text and thus approximates hanging
punctuation. There has never been enough budget to do proper hanging
punctuation ­ other feature work has always been given priority. Sometimes
it's a matter of what the programmers think they know, and sometimes it's
merely what they have time for.

Thanks,

Alan