Re: [css3] [css21] browser specific CSS

On 4/1/2011 2:04 AM, Brian Manthos wrote:
> Alan hits on a good point here.  IMO, one of the weakest points in the interoperability story right now is the lack of tests.

You may be right that that is one of the weakest points.  Easier to tell
that from your perspective than mine, perhaps.

> If one or more browsers appear to be wrong, make a test case that captures the specific issue succinctly and submit it for consideration to the test suite.

How?  Where?

In general, I can only tell that the browsers differ in their behavior,
not which one is wrong.  But still, that makes it appropriate for a test
case, and the CSS enforcement police can decide which browsers are
guilty, and of what.

> If it gets accepted, that re-enforces the case as a correct interpretation of the specification and puts pressure on vendors aiming for compliance to fix the issue.  If it gets rejected, you'll learn something in the "why".

Yes, I agree with all this.

But that doesn't reduce the number of buggy implementations in the
field, that sites still have to deal with.  And so it doesn't directly
and immediately help the site that discovers the problem.  For that, I
need to deal with the variant behavior by coding variant CSS.  And it is
hard to code variant CSS without resorting to hacks or Javascript...
which is my whole issue.