Re: [CSS3 Text] Issues with text-align='<string>'

On 10/15/2006 06:12 PM, Arnold Schrijver wrote:
> In par. 16.2 of the CSS2 specification
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/text.html#propdef-text-align) and in par
> 17.5.4
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/tables.html#column-alignment)
> the property 'text-align' is described.
>
> IMHO there is a problem with text-align="<string>" as defined here.
>
> In par. 17.5.4 the spec. states: "CSS does not provide a way specify the
> offset of the vertical alignment axis with respect to the edge of a
> column box. "
> [note that there is also a typo in this line in the spec. It is "...a
> way to specify...]
>
> This line basically says that it is up to the implementor to decide
> where to position the <string>-aligned cell values (in the case where
> <string> is a decimal point) within the column box.
> I come to the conclusion that this is a flaw in the specification. The
> values 'left', 'center' and 'right' for text-align are not mutually
> exclusive with the value '<string>'. Instead '<string>' can be combined
> with any of these values. So, the specification should have an
> additional property 'text-align-string' or something similar. String
> alignment setting should then be removed from 'text-align'.

Hi Arnold,
I apologize for replying to your email so late. I did add the ability
to combine <string> with left/center/right to the editor's draft in
response to your comments. It should appear in the next official Working
Draft publication, which I hope will be soon.

Thanks for your suggestion.

~fantasai