Re: [css3-writing-modes] yet another logical property and writing mode proposal

Shinyu Murakami wrote:

> | Shorthands:
> |
> |     margin: [physical?|logical] <margin-width>{1,4}
> |             | <margin-width>{1,4} [physical?|logical]
> |
> |     [physical?|logical] is a flag that determines whether the values should be
> |     assigned to top/right/bottom/left or before/start/after/end. Since 'physical'
> |     is the default interpretation, the flag may be omitted
>
> Other examples:
>
>     width: logical 100%;  /* logical width = physical height in vertical writing mode */
>
>     top: logical 3cm;     /* physical right in vertical-rl mode */

I don't think this quite works, this proposal effectively allows
several properties to alias the same effective value with no way of
clearly resolving precedence.

  body { writing-mode: vertical-rl: }
  .level1 { height: 2em; }
  .level2 { width: logical 1em; }
  .level3 { height: 3em; }

        What's my height?

What's the height applied to the inner-most div element?  The resolved
width would be 'logical 1em' and the height would be '3em'.  Which
applies?

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan