Re: [CSS21] Clarifications to run-in

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:55:01 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 9/21/10 12:51 PM, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:
>> For what it's worth, in Opera 10.62 a display:run-in with a
>> display:table-row child doesn't run in. (Also, given a table-row with a
>> display:inline parent, the table-row gets an anonymous inline-table box,
>> like in Gecko.) IE8 appears to do the same.
>
> Right.  This was discussed on this list at length, and the agreed-on
> behavior was that internal table kids of a run-in do not inhibit running
> in, and that the kind of wrapper table box that's generated depends on
> whether the run-in runs in (inline-table if it runs in, table otherwise).

Ah, sorry. Haven't been able to follow and process all the threads, should
probably have settled for just linking to the "in-flow" issue.

>> According to 17.2.1, whether the table-row box gets put inside an
>> inline-table box or a regular table box depends on whether its "parent
>> is an 'inline' box". Conversely, whether or not the outer span acts as
>> display:block depends on whether the table-row element "generates an
>> in-flow block-level box".
>
> You're reading outdated run-in text.  Please read the current editor's
> draft instead of the published draft.  There is no ambiguity in the
> editor's draft.

I was reading the version in this thread. I guess this is pretty much the
same issue as what you pointed out on Friday (with table-caption).

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA