Re: CIE color definitions in CSS3 color module

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> I would much rather wait for a hypothetical future display device to
> become real before trying to address its needs.  Engineering to meet
> predicted future needs has a generally poor track record on the web.

Agree.

>>> Note, as well, that CSS generally assumes that colors exist in the
>>> sRGB colorspace, and defines interpolation for things like transitions
>>> and gradients in terms of that space.
>>>
>>> ~TJ
>>
>> Yes, that is the challenge, it is not simple algorithms. For CIE xy
>> chromaticity space and CIE xyY color space [1] we see this.
[snip]
>> 1.
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIE_1931_color_space#The_CIE_xy_chromaticity_diagram_and_the_CIE_xyY_color_space>
>

> If there's no simple algorithm to convert from CIE spaces to sRGB,
> then this is dead in the water, isn't it?

Yes, remember I didn't propose this. I protested it.

> Browsers work with colors
> in sRGB.

Correct.

> You can sometimes specify colors that officially lie outside
> the sRGB gamut, but it's clamped appropriately when actually fed to
> the device.

Really, what are they?

> If there's no good algorithm to convert from CIE colorspaces to the
> gamut used by current devices, and no actual devices that display
> colors in the CIE colorspace gamuts, then what's the use of specifying
> colors in a CIE colorspace today?
>
> ~TJ

No use as yet for the holy grail of color spaces. This is why I
believe Alexis or whoever should focus more on other color spaces [1]
such as LAB [2], LUV [3], HVS and most importantly CMYK [4] which is
used for printing.

1. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_color_spaces_and_their_uses>
2. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIELUV_color_space>
3. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lab_color_space>