Re: CIE color definitions in CSS3 color module

there are two use cases for these colors that I know of:
They render the need for a complete color profile embedding system
unnecessary,
L*a*b* and L*u*v* are often used in programmatic color selection so that if
you want a
color that is perceptional between two others these color space make it very
easy to do that.
As such they are often used in computer graphics. It means that any color
that the browser
can display can be displayed. In combination with custom color names, it
will allow one to
use exact pantone, munssel and other named color spaces accurately in the
browser.
The xyY color space is often used to show colorspaces, using these spaces
would allow
one to easily make such diagrams programatically in canvas. All in all it
would just allow
one to be more accurate about color in the browser. L*a*b** *would be very
useful in transitions
as a transition between colors in L*a*b* space appears to be linear (once
here should be used)