[css4-color] Re: CIE color definitions in CSS3 color module

Alexis Shaw:
> On 11 September 2010 21:49, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>wrote:
>
>>> xyz(x, y, z)
>
> X, Y and Z colours are normalised as values so that Y is between 0 and 1 in
> the ICC profile standard, and between 0 and 100 in the CIE standard. this
> means that X and Z can be reasonably be in [0,2) and [0, 200) respectively.

Hm, I’d like them all to be positive percentages, like most other color components are or can be (excluding hue which is an <angle> and alpha which is a percentage but written as a float in [0, 1]); or X and Z could be translated to signed percentages (i.e. subtract 100).

All the other proposed parameter values obviously can be represented by either positive percentages (probably exceeding 100%) or signed percentages without breaking preexisting habits. I hope no-one wants to repeat the <alpha> disaster.

Then ‘@whitepoint’ would essentially be a way to specify a color and ‘white_point’ in ‘luv()’ and ‘lab()’ essentially is just a color? I’ve just proposed to be able to define just that in a separate message.