Re: [css3-backgrounds] Example XV inconsistent with prose of section 3.6

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
>> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Am I misunderstanding, or is the proposal that all querying for style in other
>> fashions (i.e. not with computed style) should never include the keyword
>> 'center' in the output?
>> >
>> > Should 'left', 'top', 'right', and 'bottom' also be avoided when possible or is
>> it a specific dislike of 'center'?
>> >
>> > Personally, I think it's wrong-headed to convert author-specified "center"
>> to "top 50%" or "left 50%" because (a) it's conceptually different and (b) it's
>> longer.  But apparently the consensus is to move in that direction, so I just
>> want to get clear on the mental model being adopted.
>>
>> It's not conceptually different.  'center' expresses the exact same
>> relationship as as "left 50%" or "top 50%".  It is slightly longer, but only by one
>> or two bytes.
>
> I was speaking in the English sense, not the "I can redefine blue as green and assert anything" sense.

I wasn't speaking in that sense either.  I mean exactly what I said -
the two express identical relationships.  There are zero situations in
which using one or the other would produce a different result.  They
are functionally equivalent (and luckily definitionally equivalent as
well).