Re: [CSS 2.1] [Section 9.5.1] Vertical positioning of floating boxes

Le Lun 13 septembre 2010 0:01, Alan Gresley a écrit :
> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> Dear fellow www-style colleagues,
>>
>> I need a second opinion and I am open to criticisms.
>>
>> Regarding this testcase:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm

>> 2- Shouldn't that margin box of that big triple-A-letters
>> left-floating-box be placed at top-left corner of its enclosing <div>
>> *in
>> the first line box*?
>

> The float is sitting at the top-left corner of its enclosing <div>
> padding edge. Your testcase is correct.

Hello Alan :)

I have appended a screenshot of what I see in Opera 10.62 (build 3500)
under Windows XP at the bottom of
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html

>> 3- When text-selecting/highlighting a chunk of text (by dragging the
>> mouse), we are in fact hightlighting what exactly? I think we are
>> highlighting the content area; I think we are not highlighting the line
>> box. Am I wrong?
>

> You are highlighting line boxes. Sort of like when you hover line
> boxes and the mouse pointer changes from a cursor to a text (indicates
> text that may be selected. Often rendered as an I-beam.).
>

> [snip]
>> Regarding this testcase:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html
>>
>> 1- The bright green square is right after the 3rd word (in the source
>> code) in those 2 examples while the width of the paragraph is large,
>> wide
>> enough to still render the first 5 words of the paragraphs for the first
>> line box. I did that on purpose so that the text versus bright green box
>> would not be in a too tight horizontal space.
>>
>> Opera 10.62 under Windows XP displays the bright green square's margin
>> box
>> starting on the 2nd line box, not on the first line box, in the second
>> example. The 2 examples in that testcase should be rendered identically,
>> pixel per pixel, according to section 9.5.1.
>> Am I missing something here? Can you explain this?
>

> They should be identical. They render the same in both FF 3.6.9 and
> Opera 10.62 in Windows 7.

Then I do not know how this is possible. I get a significant difference or
rendering between Opera 10.62 under XP and Opera 10.62 under Linux KDE
4.4.5.

I've added a screenshot at the bottom of the testcase page.

> BTW, the green square's margin box starts at the top it's containing
> block. This is also where the top of the paragraph is and also where
> the top of the *first line* of *line boxes* are positioned after
> margin collapse between <p> and <body>.
>

>> 2- Opera 10.62 under Windows XP and Opera 10.62 under Linux render that
>> same testcase differently. Do you see such difference too? What I mean
>> here is that "A floating box must be placed as high as possible"
>> according
>> to CSS 2.1 and that left-floating bright green square is not as high as
>> it
>> can be in the second example of the testcase in Opera 10.62 under
>> Windows
>> XP.
>

> Opera 10.62 under Linux must be doing something wrong. It may help in
> this test to give a background-color to the paragraph.

The paragraphs' background-color is now light-yellow-ish.

One last question for you, Alan. Do you get a difference of rendering in
Opera 10.62 under Windows 7 and in Opera 10.62 under Linux when trying
this testcase:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/float-005.html

I do see, get a major difference of rendering when trying float-005.html
in Opera 10.62 (build 3500) under Windows XP and in Opera 10.62 (build
3468 IIRC; am posting under windows now) under Linux KDE 4.4.5

regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite beta 3 (August 15th 2010)

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite