Re: [CSS 2.1] [Section 9.5.1] Vertical positioning of floating boxes

Le Lun 13 septembre 2010 1:37, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
> "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:
>
>> I need a second opinion and I am open to criticisms.
>>
>> Regarding this testcase:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm
>>
>> 1- Is this testcase correct? Am I missing something (except maybe the
>> somewhat tortuous wording of the expected results)? Is there something
>> wrong in such testcase?
>
> Yes, this looks correct. If you want to prevent font differences from
> playing a role here, you could use inline-blocks (or images, etc.)
> with fixed size along with zero-width spaces, though.
>
>> 4- If you use Opera 10.62 under Windows XP to view such testcase and
>> then
>> Opera 10.62 under Linux, do you see a difference in terms of vertical
>> positioning of the big triple-A-letters box? Yes? No?
>
> No, I don't see anything wrong in Opera 10.62 for Linux.

Hello Morten :)

Well, I see a significant difference with Opera 10.62 under Windows XP
(build 3500). I have appended a screenshot at the bottom of the page

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html

>> Regarding this testcase:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html

[Nota bene: I have added a light-yellow-ish background color to the <p>,
just as suggested by Alan G.]

>> 1- The bright green square is right after the 3rd word (in the source
>> code) in those 2 examples while the width of the paragraph is large,
>> wide
>> enough to still render the first 5 words of the paragraphs for the first
>> line box. I did that on purpose so that the text versus bright green box
>> would not be in a too tight horizontal space.
>>
>> Opera 10.62 under Windows XP displays the bright green square's margin
>> box
>> starting on the 2nd line box, not on the first line box, in the second
>> example. The 2 examples in that testcase should be rendered identically,
>> pixel per pixel, according to section 9.5.1.
>> Am I missing something here? Can you explain this?
>
> They look identical here, in Opera 10.62 Linux. With my font I have
> room for 5 words on the first line.

In Opera 10.62 Linux, I also see and have room for 5 words on the first line.

> I get the same result in 10.62 for
> Windows.

I do not get the same result in 10.62 for Windows (build 3500). I see a
significant difference with Opera 10.62 under Windows XP. I have appended
a screenshot at the bottom of the testcase page.

> BTW: did you mean to write "Opera 10.62 under Linux" above?

No. I really meant Opera 10.62 under Windows XP.

> As far as I could understand, it was Linux that you had a problem
> with, not Windows.

No. I believe I see a bug in Opera 10.62 under Windows XP ... otherwise I
have some kind of odd, strange setting which interferes with rendering of
those 2 webpage testcases. ... which would be rather strange.

I have also a very different rendering between Opera 10.62 under XP and
Opera 10.62 under Linux KDE 4.4.5 with this testcase (Ahem font must be
installed):

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/float-005.html

>> I can provide screenshots if requested..
>
> That could be useful.

I have provided 2 screenshots of what I see under Windows XP at the bottom of

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html

I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my questions.

regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite beta 3 (August 15th 2010)

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite