Re: [css3-values] dropping min()/max() on calc()

On 09/08/2010 11:08 PM, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Le 08/09/10 22:39, L. David Baron a écrit :
>
>> I'm leaning towards dropping min() and max() support from the calc()
>> implementation in Mozilla.
>>
>> They make a whole bunch of things a good bit more complicated,
>> nearly impossible, or actually impossible, such as determining if
>> there is a percentage basis that could make an expression nonzero,
>> or computing certain cases of intrinsic widths correctly.
>>
>> Are there any strong reasons for keeping min() and max()? (I think
>> I was one of the original advocates of adding them.)
>>
>> -David
>>

> Seen from here, and after direct chats with lots of web designers,
> calc() is the most important thing, something that will DRASTICALLY
> change their daily work if interoperably implemented.
> min() and max() are far less important.
>
> I say let's start with calc() only, that's already a lot.

Let's add min() and max() to the at-risk list, but take them to CR.
Note we are not already in CR! We're just in WD. It's fine to put
things in at-risk. We can drop them if there are no implementations
at the end of CR -- that's what the at-risk list is for. If we take
them out now, there is no spec, and an implementation that needs
this feature will have no guidance on how to do it right.

~fantasai