Re: [css3-images] Gradients feedback

On 9/10/10 4:17 PM, Brian Manthos wrote:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Agreed.  Note that SVG colors always have alpha == 1, so you can't have a
>> gradient with non-opaque colors or stops in SVG.  So no matter what we do
>> here it'll be consistent with SVG as it stands now.
>
> I found this assertion surprising.
>
> Opera, Safari, and IE9 PPB4 consider rgba acceptable for stop colors.

The SVG specification's definition of colors does not allow rgba
(because it predates the existence of rgba in CSS), and the definition
of SVG gradient behavior does not cover the case when alpha != 1.

So browsers that support rgba() colors in SVG gradients are unilaterally
extending SVG in proprietary ways at the moment, since whatever they're
doing is not actually defined by the SVG specification.

-Boris