Re: [CSS21] Issues with inline formatting model (particularly 10.8)

On 09/02/2010 11:49 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> On 02/09/2010 22:56, fantasai wrote:
>>
>> This is not an editorial change, Anton. The spec text also collapses
>> things like
>> and does not collapse things like
>> So I don't think we can simplify the clause this way.
>
> You're right of course, "inline-level" was a slip-up. It should have been:
>
> | Line boxes which contain only empty inline boxes having zero-width
> | padding, borders and margins must be treated as zero-height line
> | boxes.
>
> Anyhow, it's pretty clear from what I wrote that I'm not trying to
> introduce a technical change, but merely an editorial rewrite that
> removes the failings of the original sentence. Obviously that rewrite
> needs to match what the current sentence tries to say (including any
> line break magic if necessary). The question is whether you agree with
> the principle that line boxes do not contain text. They certainly don't
> in any other sentence of Chapters 9 and 10; they contain boxes.

Certainly line boxes can contain text. They might not *directly*
contain text, but they still contain text.

Also, CSS2.1 is not a spec where editorial changes should be made simply
for the sake of cleaning up the prose. Yes, the prose is messy. But we're
only taking editorial changes where it's necessary because the majority
of spec readers are confused.

~fantasai