Re: [css3-writing-modes] vertical writing mode and visual formatting

Koji Ishii wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Can you please be more specific which part of what spec you're talking about?

Hello koji,

I will attempt to.

>> I talking about it being specified is CSS2.1 focusing on it's top left
>> bias of lrt inline progression and ttb block progression.
>
> If you're talking about specific behaviors of a browser, you should talk to the browser vendor.

Why would I do this. There may be a good reason why writing-mode needs
to establish a 'block formatting context' but in saying this, maybe we
can consider a 'block progression context' in which case floats can
overlap a 'block progression context' as well as floats not being
contained by a 'block progression context'.

Now if you do not understand what I am saying above, then please don't
brush it aside by saying I should talk to a browser vendor.

> CSS 2.1 doesn't have writing-mode property, and thus it doesn't define the behavior for other cases than horizontal text flow. What you're seeing is what the vendor implemented, not the CSS spec. I'm sorry to say that I can't be any help here.

Can we move on from this "vendor implemented, not the CSS spec" issue.

The way IE8 and IE9 implements vertical writing mode is because it
follows CSS2.1. Also in CSS2.1 9.10 [1] I see this.

   | This property specifies the base writing direction of blocks and
   | the direction of embeddings and overrides (see 'unicode-bidi')
   | for the Unicode bidirectional algorithm. In addition, it
   | specifies the direction of table column layout, the direction
   | of horizontal overflow, and the position of an incomplete last
   | line in a block in case of 'text-align: justify'.

The part that says "base writing direction of blocks" is what I am
seeing as a 'block progression context'. I wasn't saying that CSS2.1
has a writing-mode property nor was I talking about adding
writing-mode to CSS2.1. I only suggested adding the concept of a
'block progression context' to CSS2.1.

> If you're talking about old drafts or current editor's draft of css3-writing-mode spec, you're right that this is the place to talk about issues and questions, and in that case, I'd appreciate if you could specify which part of the spec you're talking about.
>

> Regards,
> Koji

Please remember that I can not pointy to a spec that talks about a
'block progression context'. This is why I am proposing it.

1. <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#direction>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/