RE: [css3-writing-modes] a third option for implementing logical properties

I do not think this kind of language is necessary or helpful. I suggest
instead to ask Håkon why memory is such a concern for him. I suspect it
has to do with Opera shipping millions of browsers on phones that are far
 more constrained than the first-generation iPhone, never mind a modern PC.

More detailed and concrete background data on these constraints would
be interesting though.