Re: [css3-transitions] shorthand/longhand handling in transition property

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
>> Oh, I *completely* misunderstood what you were trying to communicate
>> with your examples, and I'm certain that dbaron did as well.  Your
>> example (b), if actually typed by an author, has identical behavior to
>> (a), so neither of us really understood what distinction you were
>> trying to make, and just went for the one that was more technically
>> correct, where the shorthand was fully expanded.
>>
>> I never suspected you were trying to assert something different, that
>> (b) implied that border-right-width was being transitioned twice by
>> the same rule.  I don't even know what that would *mean*.
>
> From his latest clarification, I think David understood it but that's
> not the issue. The important point is that yes, a) is what is specified
> and makes sense but not all implementations agree.
>
> For an idea of what that could mean, hover on the box in the attached
> testcase in Chrome 7. Observe how the short border-right-width transition
> is triggered several times throughout the much longer border-width
> transition. If you don't collapse duplicates I'd definitely expect something
> like this to happen.
>
> I have no honest idea why anyone would want this behavior but it's good
> to know it's not just me :)

Okay, the Chrome 7 behavior is super weird and dumb.  That is
definitely not what's supposed to happen.

I'll note that actually duplicating a property works like it's
supposed to.  We're just not correctly handling shorthand expansion.