Re: @font-face and slow downloading

On Oct 20, 2010, at 19:17 , Belov, Charles wrote:

>> Maybe we should insist on a fallback list including at least
>> one 'normal' font, for downloadable faces, and say that the
>> UA 'may' show a fallback before the downloaded font is
>> available, but if it does, must re-render using the
>> downloaded font when it becomes available?
>>
> But it is an issue if I go to click something and the link is now as I
> click going to some completely different page because the normal font
> and the suddenly-available downloaded font have different metrics.

Yes.  I think that insisting that the author specify a (local) fallback font and suggesting (strongly) to the author in a note that it's best if the metrics are as similar as possible, to cause the least re-layout disruption, may be the way to go.

On Oct 20, 2010, at 22:11 , Yuzo Fujishima wrote:

> If we use [localFont] for the tentative drawing, the user will not see any
> changes at the moment the downloading failed.
>
> If we use [OtherFont] for the tentative drawing, text is first rendered
> in [OtherFont] and then in [localFont] at the moment of download failure.

I think you're saying that you see a value in having the temporary substitute and the permanent fallback be different, and specified using different syntax.  This was a question I was struggling with: why?

David Singer