RE: [css3-speech] Drop phonemes section, mark properties

Would you be so kind as to provide an example as to how this would be
handled by the markup?

I actually think it does not go far enough.  I don't know whether CSS3
contemplates content as selector, but given the example in the draft:

@phonetic-alphabet "ipa";
#tomato { phonemes: "t\0252 m\0251 to\028a " }

(which I would suggest changing to

@phonetic-alphabet "ipa";
..tomato { phonemes: "t\0252 m\0251 to\028a " }

unless one is sure there will be only one occurrence of the word
"tomato" on the page).

Given my modified example,

class="tomato">tomato</span> happens to be yellow, however.</p>

using class selectors, I would need to go through and replace all
un-spanned examples of "tomato" with the spanned version '<span
class="tomato">tomato</span>'.  Very tedious unless one is using a
content management system; even then it adds bloat to the page.

Better yet would be a content-based selector:

@phonetic-alphabet "ipa";
[\wtomato\w] { phonemes: "t\0252 m\0251 to\028a " }

which would leave the markup clean:

however.</p>

I do have a real-world concern use case that "Muni" (the San Francisco
public transportation system) is pronounced Mew-nee not Moo-nee, and it
would be tedious/bloating to have to tag it wherever it occurs rather
than being able to specify it once in a style sheet.  This also applies
to many street names in San Francisco, and, I imagine elsewhere, as well
as many company names.

Or perhaps there needs to be a vocabulary-pronunciation download
facility similar to what is being done with downloadable fonts.

My apologies if this is too far off from your post.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster