Re: @font-face and slow downloading

On Oct 20, 2010, at 8:52 AM, John Daggett wrote:

> Ah, ok, your thinking is that there should be additional @font-face
> syntax to specify the timeout?  Something like this?
>
>  @font-face {
>    font-family: BongoTheFont;
>    src: url(Bongo.woff);
>    font-fallback-timeout: 5;  /* show fallback font after 5 seconds */
>  }

Something along those lines, yes. When I wrote my initial email, I did not have this in mind yet, but the more I think about it, the more I think it should be author-controlled.

> While this is something authors would prefer to control, it seems more
> like a property that should be left to the user to control, since the
> irritation level will vary by user depending upon whether no text or
> popping text is more of an irritant for a given network connection and
> device.

It's true that there is a user-specific preference aspect to this that will vary user-to-user. However, leaving it as a user preference will only allow the users who understand what web fonts are in the first place to choose between the options. If it's under author control, then the author can choose an experience that they think is best, and users don't have to be expected to have any understanding of what's going on under the hood.

-Beth