Re: [css3-writing-modes] Properties with horizontal/vertical values

On 10/11/2010 08:48 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Fantasai and I are aware of that we need a list of which properties are
> logical and which physical. The list should cover all CSS 2.1
> properties, and all CSS3 properties that are already in CR.
>
> Our plan is to come up with the 1^st cut of the list within a week or
> two, but I expect there will be a lot of discussions after that; from
> logical correctness, consistencies, usefulness for RTL/vertical scripts,
> and implementation point of view. Is it possible for you to wait a
> little more, then help us to figure out the ideal spec for this from
> your point of view?
>
> My gut feeling is shadows are physical, overflow and border-spacing are
> logical,

This makes sense to me. I can't think of any use cases for overflow-x
and overflow-y or border-spacing being physical rather than logical.

> and background I still need some more researches to figure it

background-position needs to be physical: it already does not switch
left/right for RTL, and the pair coordinates map to explicit physical
offsets in css3-background. The plan is to add logical equivalents of
those keywords to allow for logical offsets.

For repeat-x and repeat-y, it could go either way. I'd vote for making
it consistent with overflow-x and overflow-y, though.

> out. But as said above, all of them are still to be discussed at this
> point, and it’d be probably better to discuss by looking at the whole list.

Agreed.

~fantasai