Re: [css3-ruby] [css3-text] Position values and before/after definitions in LR vertical writing mode

On 10/8/10, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not so sure if this is true for spines. A couple of days ago, when
> I was in the library browsing through the shelves, I suddenly realized
> that *a lot* of French books have their titles running up the spine.
> It was not just a one or two books, but virtually every book on the
> shelves. So I assume whether titles run up or down the spine has
> little to do with the writing system's directionality per se but
> rather just arbitrary typographic traditions in the country the book
> is published.

Oops, thanks for the correction. I should have said English. I was
actually using a Finnish periodical as my reference element which is
why I wrote Latin (meaning the character set, not the language
family). I blame that poor assumption and on my bad memory and the
lateness of the hour. I have visited families in France and I'm sure I
browsed their bookshelves, but my memory is fading.

Anyway, there's still the Hebrew-Chinese picture which should be
hopefully interesting to someone.